This joint stock bank, the second to be formed in the country, was created in 1826 by the amalgamation of three Stuckey family banks – Stuckey, Lean, Hart & Maningford of Bristol, S & G Stuckey & Co of Langport and Stuckeys
& Woodlands of Bridgwater. The banks continued to trade under their
separate names until 1828 when all became part of Stuckey’s Banking Co.
The early policy of the bank was to expand throughout Somerset and
Bristol by acquisition of private banks and by branch and agency
openings. Initially based in Langport, it became a major West Country
bank under the leadership of Vincent Stuckey.